Class 1 Division 2 Self Luminous Exit Sign
Class 1 Division 2 Overview
The National Electric Code (NEC) defines hazardous locations as any location "where fire or explosion hazard may exist due to flammable gases or vapors, combustible dust, or ignitable fibers or flyings."
Any facility or indoor location deemed Class 1 Division 2 - including paint spray finishing bays, aircraft hangars or gasoline storage - are on the highest end of the spectrum when it comes to explosive possibility.
Special exit signs must be placed in these spaces. They must not have any exposed electronics that could accidentally spark the combustible agents present in the atmosphere. Installing the wrong exit sign type is a violation of OSHA policies and can lead to heavy fines.
What Does Class 1 Division 1 Mean?
CLASS I - Class 1 hazardous locations are any environment where flammable gases or vapors may be present in the air, in sufficient amounts to become explosive.
DIVISION 2 - the flammable airborne materials described above are abnormally present in the area.
- Space is normally not considered hazardous
- Sudden introduction of the given material can become present. Examples can include accidental spills or when transporting drums between rooms
- Space may be adjacent to a division 1 space where stray vapors can cross over
Division 1 spaces, as you might guess, are spaces that regularly produce the offending materials and are part of the normal day-to-day operations.
Check Out Our Double Sided Self Luminous Exit Signs
Class I Division 1 Self Luminous Exit Signs
If the location you need to install exit signs does not have an easily accessed AC conduit, electrical exit signs might not work for you. The best option then is non-electrical, self luminous exit signs.
Instead of LEDs, self-luminous models use a naturally glowing hydrogen gas known as tritium. During the day these self powered exit signs will seem to have a faint green glow in the 'exit' lettering. In darker environments and at night, the tritium will be more noticeable but not distracting.
Advantages of a C1 D2 Self Luminous Exit Sign
- $100s of dollars cheaper than explosion proof LED exit signs
- No electricity required
- No maintenance is required
- Depending on the model, they will last between 10 and 25 years
- No AC conduits to run
- Require no ambient light to charge the glowing elements like photoluminescent signs